Sunday, March 11, 2012

essence - midnight date + [haul] Catrice - Million Styles Effect Top Coats + more crackling experiments

Hi guys!

Today I have a very intriguing polish combination for you. Essence recently came out with their "nail colour³" line that has... how to put this. It's basically a stick with a tiny 4 ml (0.13 fl. oz) polish bottle at each end. The one I'm showing is 01 Midnight Date. I find the name quite misleading, since the base color is also called "midnight date". The flakie top color is called "city that never sleeps". This always makes me think of New York. And a bit of Tokyo. So anyway, here are some pictures for your (hopefully) viewing pleasure.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

This is direct sunlight.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Shade/indirect sunlight.


Photobucket Photobucket

And bottle shots. Or should I say "stick shots"?

I liked this combination so much that I got a backup! You have to see this in person to really be able to appreciate it fully. "Midnight date" is a very rich dark blue with blue and green shimmer. "City that never sleeps" is a light purple-ish base with flakes of glitter that shift from green to blue as well as micro glitter in green, blue and red/pink (I can't really tell). At some angles, the glitter flakes also look purple. It really all depends on lighting and angles. It's kind of crazy, but so so so beautiful.

Let's talk a little about application and related topics... I thought painting with the heavy stick-thing would be awkward, but it was actually easy and didn't present a problem. Maybe because my hands are quite big, longer caps are easier for me to handle than short ones, I don't know.
The brush is fairly small and not very broad, but the polish has a good consistency and applies well. The base color, "midnight date", barely needed a second coat, but as always, my unskillfulness got a little in the way. I needed two coats of the flakie topper, "city that never sleeps", to get a (for me) satisfying amount of flakes. I wore this during grocery shopping, showering (including washing my hair) and slept on it twice. There are some minor chips and tip wear by now.

As a result of the tip wear, the polish layers can be peeled off easily, especially with thin nails. You can just slip one of your nails between your other nail and the polish layers on top and peel the color off. That happens to me every time I wear polish for longer than a few minutes. I don't know if that's normal or not... I tried to patch it up with more top coat but that only fixed the problem for a few hours.

À propos top coat... I got the whole Catrice Million Styles Effect Top Coat line, 8 polishes in total.
Catrice Million Styles Effect Top Coat 1

C01 No Smoke without Fire, C04 Shake it! Flake it!, C07 ¿Holo qué tal?!, C06 Godfather of Pearl

Catrice Million Styles Effect Top Coat  2

C03 Miss Money Penny, C08 Have an Ice Day, C02 Million Dollar Baby, C05 Return of Space Cowboys

I'm a bit... disappointed (?) that they used the typical Spanish "upside down" question mark, but inconsequently left out the exclamation mark at the beginning. Or is that how it's done in Spanish? I don't think so, but well...

As always (or most times, anyway), I used my old mani for some experiments. Some more crackling/shatter top coats, anyone?

Photobucket Photobucket

P2 crackling top coat "golden rush"


Photobucket P2 pearl crackling top coat violet fusion 2 P2 pearl crackling top coat violet fusion 3

P2 pearl crackling top coat "violet fusion"


It's not that easy to see a difference between the two, but when I held my hands next to one another, it became quite obvious. "Violet fusion" leans a little pink, while "golden rush" is pretty much good ol' gold. They both crackle fairly nicely. I wouldn't necessarily normally put either of them over a combo like "midnight date" plus "city that never sleeps", though, since those two already have a TON of effects going on and a glitter crackle top coat layered over them is just kind of too much. Maybe if you're going out to party or something, otherwise it might just be too crazily glittery. But maybe that's totally your thing? ^^

That's it for today guys, I hope you enjoyed my post and have a nice rest-weekend.

Edit: I forgot to ask! Would you like to see the Million Styles Effect Top Coats swatched? If so, on their own, over white, over black, or over a matching color? Or possibly all four?! Let me know in a comment if you'd be interested.
Also, sorry that the first picture of the Million Styles Effect Top Coats is upside down. I don't know what got into Photobucket again... It'll be correct tomorrow.

2 comments:

Danke, dass du dir die Zeit genommen hast, hier zu lesen und zu kommentieren!/Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!