Sunday, January 29, 2012

Catrice - Cotton Candy At Eiffel Tower + announcement "Time to say bye buy"

Hello there! Here goes my first nail polish post of - hopefully - many. Today I present to you:

Catrice Cosmetics - Ultimate Nudes - Cotton Candy At Eiffel Tower



This color, a very light rose, is quite sheer. I applied 3 medium coats to make it look as it does in the photos. If you wanted to go for a less "dramatic" effect, you could of course apply less.

And just because I had them new, I also applied essence's quick dry topcoat AND gel-look topcoat. Unfortunately, I had to take the whole manicure off again the next day, because the polish had bubbled. Another reason for the quick removal was that I'd messed up my right thumb nail, so that a huge piece of polish chipped off later after we'd come home from grocery shopping...
I don't know if the bubbling is the top coats' fault or the color polish's, but we'll see that once I've worn Cotton Candy At Eiffel Tower a few more times.

The longer I wore this polish, the more I fell in love with it. It's subtle, kind of classy and chic. I imagine it would go very well with any black and white clothes combination (black pants, white blouse, black blazer, black leather purse - yes, please).

Other details on Catrice polishes: The bottles each contain 10 ml/0.33 fl. oz. The retail price is EUR 2.49 (that's about USD 3.30). Some of the ones I bought were (and almost certainly still are) on sale, though, and only cost EUR 1.75 (~ USD 2.30). The quality of the polishes is good, as far as I can judge from wearing only one of them for more than a few minutes (I swatched the others and took everything off again immediately after taking a few photos). The ratio of quality and quantity to price is also good. Essence colour & go bottles are only 5 ml/0.16 fl. oz. (so half of the Catrice bottles) and cost EUR 1.29 each (~ USD 1.70). I'm satisfied.

Now for a related topic that I wanted to share with whoever is reading this. :)
On their website, Catrice Cosmetics has a list of products that will be eliminated from their (permanent) range of products beginning of February. Among those products are also about 20 nail polishes. It's mainly purple/violet shades that are leaving the core line. You can find the complete list here. The soon-to-be-eliminated polishes will probably still be available for quite a while (unless people get so hyped about this that they raid every drugstore they can find, which I dare to doubt), since I suppose many stores will still have a stock of them left.

Ironically, three of the four shades I bought on Friday are on the list: Snow Motion! (white), Am I Blue Or Green? (pastel-ish aqua) and I'm A Star... (most beautiful olive-brown-gold mixture I've ever seen). I'm thinking about getting a second bottle of I'm A Star... just because it's so unbelievably pretty. Have a picture of my Catrice "collection":
left to right: Cotton Candy At Eiffel Tower, I'm A Star..., Snow Motion!, Am I Blue Or Green? and Quick Dry & High Shine Top Coat


There are at least 7 shades that I'd like to have an in-person-look at before they get discontinued:
Back To Black
This one doesn't look black on the website picture AT ALL. It's a medium blue with glitter in it. I definitely need to see this one in person.

I Wear My Sunglasses At Night
It looks like a plum/dark mauve and gold duochrome.

Sand Francisco
Someone was trying very hard to be funny... Anyway, it IS a sandy shade.

In The Bronx
I wonder if that name is supposed to be a reference to rapper/hip hop bling bling or something. It's a gold shimmer/glitter.

Iron Mermaiden
This looks like what you see when there's a thin layer of oil on water. Green, blue, pink/purple... all in one polish. Maybe they should've called it "Oil Slick"? Okay okay, not funny. Anyway, absolutely need to see this in person as well.

Blues Brother Vol. II
A blue glitter. Nothing too special, but the shade of blue seems nice.

Mona Lisa Is Staring Back
This one is also from the Ultimate Nudes line. It's more pink/orange and darker than Cotton Candy At Eiffel Tower (that name sure is a pain to type).
All the polishes of this line seem to have a name that is somehow connected to Paris, or at least France. Another one of them also appeals to me, but the name makes me cringe: My Café Au Lait At Nôtre-Dame. Anyone who can spot the source of my discomfort gets a virtual cookie.

So yeah, these are the ones I'd like to see and maybe buy before they leave the core line. I also thought about the two special top coats, but I can't make up my mind yet. Are there any polishes on the list that you'd like to try before they are eliminated from the permanent product range? Or are any of your favorites on the list?

Hope to read you all again soon!

P.S.: I'd love to hear how you think I'm doing with my blog so far - tell me what you like and what, in your opinion, could be improved!


Edit on January 31, 2012: Now that I've seen Mona Lisa Is Staring Back in person, I have to go back on my statement - I mixed it up with another color of the same line. Mona Lisa Is Staring Back is almost the same color as Cotton Candy At Eiffel Tower, but it has micro glitter in it, plus a bit of shimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Danke, dass du dir die Zeit genommen hast, hier zu lesen und zu kommentieren!/Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!